When is Church/Youth Group/Family Night?
Our Church worship service is at 9:30 AM in person at the church building on 205 S Highway Avenue, Downs Illinois. It is also recorded, edited for good quality sound, and posted on this website’s main/home page just a few days after Sunday morning. You can also watch recordings of previous services on that same page.
Visit this link to learn about the Covid precautions we are taking for in-person worship and activities.
NextGen Ministries for the 2022 school year resume on September 7th. We are back to a one-night schedule on Wednesday evenings. K-8th grade meets from 5:30-7:00 PM and High School meets from 6:30-8:00 PM. Dinner is provided as a part of the ministry.
What happens on Sundays?
- We all come together as a church family to worship the Lord. Sermons are all family appropriate, and we encourage families to sit together.
- Adult Sunday School meets in the hour before church (Starting at 8:30)
- During the worship services we have volunteers to help in the Nursery for our smallest attendees, and we offer children’s church for K-3 during the sermon time where a lesson and activities are shared. Children’s church is completely optional, you are also welcome to keep your children with you for the whole service.
- After the services, we provide fellowship breakfast – coffee and doughnuts in the fellowship hall.
- We have an evening in-depth Bible Study that meets in the Chapel at 6:00-7:00pm.
Is your church building handicapped accessible?
The church is fully handicap accessible. In addition to a fully accessible men’s and women’s restroom we also offer a family restroom. All program areas are on the first floor, and there is a ramp providing access to the stage for any who would like to help serve in the worship service.
Do I have to join the church to participate in church programs?
Absolutely not. Membership is not required to attend any of the church’s ministries and programs. We do choose the vast majority of our leaders from among church members, but there is no pressure to become a member at Downs UMC. We believe that’s a decision for you to make in your own time.
What is the mission/vision of the church?
To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, with a special emphasis on the Tri-Valley area and the village of Downs.
Here is a link to the church’s What we Believe page.
What is your music like?
Our music ministry is run by a team of very talented and faithful volunteers, and that leads to some really wonderful diversity in music on Sunday morning. Our worship team (band) plays once a month, and our choir takes the lead once a month for music as well. Other Sundays will feature soloists and some of our great song leaders and piano players! This really does allow us to play a little bit of everything. The church is blessed with many great musicians and looking to grow its music ministry.